Saturday, April 20, 2013

Welcoming Families From Around the World

The country that my family of choice came from is Mexico. The family's name is the Estrada Family and they are such a warm loving group of people. There are five ways in which I will prepare to be culturally responsive towards this family which include:
Being able to communicate effectively(language).
Learn the in's and out's of their ethnicity and culture.
Learn the proper etiquette.
Embrace their way of preparing meals.
Lastly, create a positive atmosphere that will be conducive to learning which will allow the family to feel comfortable.


These preparations will help both parties by making sure that I m not offensive to their culture and they are not offended. In preparing for this family I will also learn as much as I can because it is important to understand others and what makes them tick.Therefore I will prepare myself accordingly. The benefits are endless and the preparations will allow the Estrada family to see that I care and have gone out of my way to assure that they are comfortable and accepted.

2 comments:

  1. I think the hardest thing would be to be able to effectively communicate. I honestly feel like no one should be allowed to enter the United States if they are not efficient in speaking English or should at least be made to take classes immediately after arriving here. That communication barrier is a huge inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you able to speak spanish already? I ask, because you state that one of your steps would be able to communicate effectively. Would you take a language course, or use a translator app, or actual translator? I am curious because I had a family from Mexico this year, and the language barrier was always an issue.

    ReplyDelete