Saturday, March 30, 2013

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

Now listen up to this PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT!!! None of  us are angels and we know we all have isms that we are working on as well as becoming aware of our micoaggressions. But I have a confession to make! This week as I was getting lunch I saw this guy that had on false eyelashes, cloth stuffed in his exterior area, tight heels and skinny leg jeans with a see through shirt. I was stunned to say the least and the other teacher that I was  attending lunch with commented on the appearance of this young man she said," he really missed the mark that drag queen is less than Fabulous". I chuckled and thought isn't this what I just had to read about this week! I caught myself before I gave my review of what I observed. I did not want to add to this microinsult.

As we all know our world is changing but yet many of us we are still old fashioned and uphold the content of what we were taught as kids. Which goes back to what our culture believes and that really makes us who we are.
This week I realized a few things about myself and I have realized that I too am no ANGEL and I may need one to hold my hands as I walk through the many stereotypes that I battle with within myself. I am not perfect at all but when we know better we do better and that means addressing micoaggression phobias! 

3 comments:

  1. I admire your self awareness. We are all so different, we are naturally attracted to others as we are resistant. I often think while studying and working on awareness of diversity and acceptance that: Life often proves to us that it can be difficult to just be human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is great that you were able to stop yourself from joining in and making a comment about the drag queen. At this point I am not sure that I would have been able to stop. I am becoming more aware of what I say and how it may hurt others even when I dont realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am proud that you were able to stop yourself from commenting on the appearance of this young man. I have really been working on what I say to others and am doing good, but I have yet to master making a comment among one person about another person.

    ReplyDelete